Lucid Group Inc. (Lucid) unveiled the final production specs for the Lucid Air Sapphire. “With the release of the Lucid Air Sapphire, we are witnessing an unprecedented moment in time. The technology that underpins Sapphire enables an unsurpassed blend of performance, agility, and versatility,” said Peter Rawlinson, chief executive officer and chief technology officer of Lucid. “The result is an extreme performance car that offers delightful responsiveness and everyday practicality.”
The Lucid Air Sapphire achieves an US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)-estimated 427 miles (687 km) on a single charge, setting the standard for performance EV capabilities. It houses a three-motor powertrain, all developed and manufactured in-house, which produces a total of 1234 hp (921 kW) and 1,430 lb.-ft. of torque. Thanks to the enhanced power delivery provided by the twin rear-drive unit, the Sapphire can travel 0 to 60 mph in just 1.89 seconds and run a quarter mile in 8.95 seconds at 158 mph.
The Sapphire will be priced at US$249,000 fully equipped before tax, title, registration, and other fees in the United States. Information about availability for markets outside of North America will be communicated in the future.
Changes specific to Sapphire relative to other Lucid Airs include an exterior that is optimized for both downforce and efficiency at high speeds, as well as an exclusive Sapphire Blue exterior paint combined with Lucid’s Stealth Look trim. The Aero Sapphire wheels wear specially designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, offering enhanced performance and increased efficiency, complemented by removable carbon-fiber aero disk wheel covers.
The Air Sapphire introduces two specially configured modes and additional performance settings. Presenting a lineup of four drive modes, Smooth, Swift, Sapphire, and Track, each mode is optimized for various conditions and styles, influencing the character of the car and behavior of suspension, steering, brakes, torque vectoring, peak power and torque, and thermal controls.
“Smooth mode configures the vehicle for comfortable, effortless, highly efficient driving,” said Lucid in a statement. “Moving to Swift mode, which is designed for spirited road driving, maintains comfort while providing a distinctly sporty edge. Sapphire mode ups the ante considerably, combining unmatched power and torque with incredible reflexes and agility, for the ultimate on-road driving experience. Track mode, developed solely for use on racetracks, features three additional sub-modes, Dragstrip, Hot Lap, and Endurance, to further tune and condition the powertrain and battery for optimum performance.
Air Sapphire’s powertrain layout, focus on performance, and new features and drive modes position it as distinct in the Air lineup. This future classic provides a luxury experience to the discerning driver while offering an unparalleled experience on the racetrack, resulting in the perfect blend of sophistication and versatility.
Air Sapphire standard equipment includes:
- New twin rear-drive unit that works in tandem with the single motor front-drive unit
- Retuned front and rear springs, bushings, anti-roll bars, and steering software
- Unique adaptive damper control software and tuning for ABS, stability control, brake booster, and electronic power steering (EPS)
- Torque vectoring control algorithms and traction control
- Revised front and rear suspension geometry to provide heightened steering response
- New carbon ceramic brakes: Front 420-mm rotors with 10-piston calipers, rear 390-mm rotors with 4-piston calipers
- Bespoke Aero Sapphire wheels, with diameters of 20 in. in the front and 21 in. in the rear, paired with co-developed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires
- Removable carbon fiber aero wheel covers with center lock nut
- Aluminum roof introduced to reduce total vehicle weight and lower the center of gravity
- Heated and ventilated front sports seats with additional bolster support that retain massage functionality
- Soft-close doors, power opening/closing trunk and frunk
- Ultra-fast 900V+ charging system
- Unique Sapphire-themed on-screen display presenting a lineup of four drive modes — Smooth, Swift, Sapphire, and Track — each influencing the character of the car and behavior of suspension, steering, brakes, torque vectoring, peak power and torque, and thermal controls.
- Extensive over-the-air software update capability
- DreamDrive Pro, Lucid’s advanced driver assistance system, with 30+ features and future-ready hardware including the first automotive LIDAR in North America
21-speaker Surreal Sound Pro immersive audio system with Dolby Atmos compatibility